Crater Lake is always beautiful !

Monday, May 31, 2010

This Memorial Day I Honor our Veterans

I was fortunate enough when I graduated from high school that there wasn’t a war going on some place in the world. If there had been I would have complied and gone to serve my country like the hundreds of thousands of vets have done before me. I think to some extent I have always felt uncomfortable that I did not serve in the military helping to protect these United States I so proudly live in.   I instead chose to serve in the fire service helping protect our local communities and citizens from harm.
On this hallowed day of remembrance I think the most important thing we can do this Memorial Day is in fact remember those that have fallen, honor those that served, especially those that got banged up like the guys visiting Beaver Hollow and support those who are still serving our country today. Keep their families in our thoughts too because they are also at war missing their loved ones.



When 2nd Lt. James Cathey's body arrived at the Reno Airport , Marines climbed into the cargo hold of the plane and draped the flag over his casket as passengers watched the family gather on the tarmac.


During the arrival of another Marines casket last year at Denver International Airport , Major Steve Beck described the scene as so powerful: 'See the people in the windows? They sat right there in the plane, watching those Marines. You gotta wonder what's going through their minds, knowing that they're on the plane that brought him home,' he said 'They will remember being on that plane for the rest of their lives. They're going to remember bringing that Marine home. And they should.'




The night before the burial of her husband's body, Katherine Cathey refused to leave the casket, asking to sleep next to his body for the last time The Marines made a bed for her, tucking in the sheets below the flag. Before she fell asleep, she opened her laptop computer and played songs that reminded her of 'Cat,' and one of the Marines asked if she wanted them to continue standing watch as she slept. 'I think it would be kind of nice if you kept doing it,' she said. 'I think that's what he would have wanted'


 
I am proud to say I have surrounded myself during my life with people who believe these images are the most powerful they have ever seen next to child birth.


1 comment:

  1. I stand with you in honoring our vets and their families. The sacrifices they make every day make me so proud of them all. Thank you to all of you and your families for keeping me and my family safe. God Bless. Larrieann

    ReplyDelete