Crater Lake is always beautiful !

Saturday, September 4, 2010

A Mother's Worry Never Ends

Awhile back I wrote on my blog about one of the ladies I work with, son had been hurt over in Afghanistan, here's an update from Roo.

Hey billy blaze

June 16t 2010 at 6:45 a.m. I got the call from my son Brad that my oldest son Daniel has been hurt, and the military was calling his next of kin list to let us know. I thought the whole world had just fallen out from underneath me. I couldn't believe it. I sat on my bed hugging my pillow and crying into the phone that they were wrong it was a mistake. My husband tried to take the phone from me but I couldn' let go of it. I couldn't let Brad hang up until I knew Daniel was ok. Brad had to go to his NCO to prepare for the news if it were bad.  All the military would tell us is that they will keep us up dated over a secure email.
Hours went by with no word.

24 hours passed before I got the up date that Daniel was ok. For three days that is all the military would us. He's ok. So now that my son has come home for some rest and recop. I can tell you all what really happened. My son and his crew were sent out to clear bombs up country. Shortly before leaving to go up country they did their equipment check and found that the thing (sorry I can't remember what he called the thingy) but the bomb detecting thing that is on the front of their truck was broke so they went to their NCO and let her know. She told the guys to remove it and go anyways. Daniel said "No" and then got into a fight with her. Ok keep in mind that this NCO's went from college to combat. She hadn't been in a war or fire fight before. Daniel spent two years in Iraq and was in 24 out of 27 active fire fights. Daniel knew that removing the bomb detector was against the regulations and confronted her. But she is his boss so they left to go up country with the broken vehicle.

The first truck has three guys in it the driver, the computer guy and,a gunner in the turret who mans the 50 cal gun.The second vehicle has a driver, a 50 cal gunner and three other guys who walk along side the vehicle. They are all armed. They watch for an ambush. A convoy can be up to 10 or more. However there were only 5 vehicles this time. Daniel wanted to put his crew on the 50 cal guns in the vehicle. These men had been in Iraq with Daniel and he knew that they wouldn't panic in an attack. But the NCO wanted to put all the cherries (new guys) in the territ so they can get some experience . When the bomb went off it killed the driver Gainer and the guy who was in the territ, and flipped over and killed Stanley who was walking along side the second vehicle.  Then while everyone was disoriented they were attacked from the ground in an ambush. The guys in the territ froze and never shot back. My son was shaken, bruised and had a bad headache but was ok. Other than seeing his friends hurt. There were a lot of soldiers hurt that day. But you never hear mention of the soldiers who were hurt serving their country only those who died or did something heroic.
Well as far as I'm concerned All of our Soldiers are HEROS!!!!!!!!!!! They fight for us and they didn't have to they choose to.

Three of my sons friends died that day. When I heard about Gainer and Stanley I cried again for their families. I had met both Gainer and Stanley and even spoke with them when Daniel was able to call home. They would joke around with me like they were my kids. They would place their monthly orders for cookies, banana bread, pepperoni and jerky. And magazines with pretty girls. We should all remember ALL of the SOLDIERS who are fighting, have fought or will go to fight in the future for or freedom. Thank a soldier every time you see one and tell them you care and tell them to be careful.Cry with the families who have lost a brave soldier. Those who have died left behind grieving families and close friends. Cry for those who got hurt and have to pick up the pieces and learn everything all over, and for the family members and friends who are there with the glue to keep it all together. My son and I looked over some pictures of him with his friends and we cried when we saw the pics of Gainer and Stanley.

I can't begin to thank blaze, his followers on his website and the friends I work with. Along with my husband and kids they were the glue that held me together that day and the long days that followed. Bill it meant the world to me that you included my family to your web page you didn't have to but you did. I have sent your web page out to soldiers and their families that way they can see there are a lot of people who really do care.
My son Sgt Grubbs is now back in Afghanistan so the worrying is back too.  Not like it ever left. All my boys are in the Army so my worrying won't end until their all state side and fairly safe.

Thank you guys again for your concern and again I really am sorry it has taken so long to get back you on this.  I will keep blaze updated on the where abouts of all three boys and how they are doing.

Roo

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment