Crater Lake is always beautiful !

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I Never Again Tried to be Cool

The story I have to tell about Aunt Jackie actually isn't about Aunt Jackie herself but her ruffian brothers.  During just one adventure with them, they left a lasting impression that has lasted a life time for me...

...when I was growing up every summer I would get to spend at least one week down at the home place staying with Grandma Gray.  I would tootle around grandma's during the daytime while Uncle Jack was working at the plywood plant but when he got home we normally went off and worked on some project together.  One summer when I was middle school age, as normal I was spending my week down in the flat.  I remember one evening Jackie's brothers were visiting her but decided to drive into Grants Pass real quick to pick up something and Jackie invited me to ride along with them.  The three of them climbed in the front seat of their car which left the back seat to myself.  When I was young I always had a tough time coming from and going to grandma's house because I got car sick pretty easily.  I knew I was going to be in trouble on this trip because of the high rate of speed we were driving when we left the flat and we hadn't hit the curvy part of the county road yet.  With the help of a little pregnant breathing to assist me in not getting car sick I made it into Grants Pass not feeling to under the weather.  The boys picked up what ever they were after and we headed back down to Aunt Jackie's house even faster then when we had left.  About when the driver topped over the Sexton Mountain summit doing ninety miles per hour one of the boys in the passenger seat turned around and offered me a cigarette. They had been smoking them the whole time we were driving, which wasn't helping to control my car sickness any.  With a simple flick of his wrist a cigarette popped half way out of the pack and I took it.  My whole family smoked back in those days so I knew I was suppose to stick it in my mouth, so I did.  He carefully leaned over the back of the front seat and lit it for me and boy did the trouble begin then.  

At that age I wanted to be cool too so I began taking small puffs from the fire stick.  They'd shout back to me periodically "how ya doing back there", as I was trying not to gag loud enough to where they could hear me.  Tears were running from my eyes, my lungs burned, my throat felt like it was on fire and that was before I dropped hot ashes in my lap and really was on fire.  By the time we hit where the small town of Leland was I was done.  Done smoking the cigarette but not done with being sick, ohhh no, not by a long shot.  Now here I am riding in a car with three high school aged boys and even I knew it would not be cool to throw-up in their car.  Sweat is pouring from my brow, I am on the verge of spewing about the time we pull into Aunt Jackie's house.  Leaping from the car, still not wanting to actually throw-up in front of them I head towards grandma's outhouse.  I didn't make it inside, unloading my dinner out behind Grandpa Busters old shop.  I have never again felt so sick and green as I did at that very moment in my life.  I never again have lifted another cigarette to my lips since that sobering day, probably saving me thousands of dollars over the years, and of coarse that pesky thing called lung cancer.  Thank you Aunt Jackie for the invite.

1 comment:

  1. Sort of reminds me of the time, you went out with US Foresty buddies one Friday night payday. Our boarder David Johnson was going to keep and eye on you but wanted to introduce you to a bottle or two of beer. Couple hours later the phone rang and in a whisper you ask if beer would hurt house plants. Went on to say you thought beer tasted awful and you kept dumping it in a house plant, so the fellows didn't think you were a sissy. Blaze was fine the next morning, but our boarder David appeared to be a bit "under the weather the next morning."

    ReplyDelete