Crater Lake is always beautiful !

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Curly haired girls

I am keenly aware that a story telling blog like mine needs to have stories routinely fed into it for people to stay interested and following my rants. As I mentioned in my last post, I am not feeling all that chatty right now, which I know will really surprise some of you. I am feeling the effects of not being able to live closer to Ka’mya and her mom and be involved more in their day to day lives.  Mostly I'm pouting about the situation.
Of all the stories I have trapped in my head, this is the only one that helps me today…




…I was reluctant when I moved into Grants Pass following my new job in the city but have since learned to enjoy the bigger town. The Grants Pass community supports several “artsie-fartsie” celebrations during the year. One that I especially liked was the “Take a Walk Along the Rogue Celebration”. It was where parents and grandparents could come and enjoy free activities with their children and grandchildren. Of course, I would always dust the rickshaw off for this event because I like giving small kids their first rickshaw ride.


I will never forget a couple years ago when I was riding the rickshaw during the event. I was just getting ready to drop off two adult passengers that I already had in the rickshaw with me. When out of the corner of my eye I saw a three to four year old blonde-haired girl running full tilt across the lawns towards my rickshaw. You know that kind of running where their bodies are almost out running their little legs and you are afraid they are going to fall. Her hair looked exactly like Ka’myas’ but only a beautiful blonde color. Just behind her were her two slightly older siblings, just behind them were mom and dad trying to keep up with the three of them. Thinking back, it would have made a great Norman Rockwell picture. No more had I come to a complete stop, to let my current passengers off, did the little blonde haired girl dive onboard. Her older brother and sister stopped short of getting in the rickshaw apologizing for little sisters’ exuberance. Of all my years around children she was the most beautiful child I have ever seen till my grandkids came into my life. She had curly, curly blonde hair, bright blue eyes, and a smile as bright as the sun that day. She had Down Syndrome. With the parents finally catching up to them and me explaining the rides were free, they let me take their children for a spin (actually several spins) around the park in the rickshaw. This little blonde girl giggled out loud, pointed and laughed the entire time I was giving them a ride and ohhh what a long ride they got.
I can tell this east coast granddaughter Ka’mya, is going
to cost me some money. Shipping my rickshaw back and forth across the country is not going to be cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment