Crater Lake is always beautiful !

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

My Son Reflects on Camping at Beaver Hollow

My son Michael tells about some of his Beaver Hollow memories...

Dear Pops, (aka billy blaze)

I have been thinking about the many great times at camp. Remembering things like the time a bear went in and grabbed the Fridge and Freezer out of the pump house and tore them apart in the field. The time I hit a cougar and thought it was going to jump in my car to hit me back. Or the time I stepped on a rattle snake in the field and how I sharpened my killing skills through fear alone, oh and the help of a lawn chair. In the end the
lawn chair was broken but I came out with my first victory! Or how about the time I had my first snake killing lessen from Grandma Gray. She told me I needed a long tool with a flat end. Grandma searched the back of her truck, no shovel in sight so she said this will work! She then took the plastic off of Jason’s brand new snow board with one hard shot to the pavement, off went the rattlers head and much of the snow boards value. Tossing the board back in the truck along with the dead but still moving snake.  I knew I could not tell Jason. The stories go on and on but for some reason the “No Pouting Allowed at Beaver Hollow” kept reminding me of the time we were all sitting around the camp fire roasting marshmallows and a flaming molten mellow got flung right into Doug’s eye. He was pretty young at the time and he panicked thinking that the hot lava of a marshmallow had caused him to go blind. Billy Blaze to the rescue! He began to tell us that all was well, being that he is PRACTICALLY a doctor. He hurried to his "rescue van" to retrieve his medical gear. About 10 minutes later you could no longer see Doug’s face at all. He had completely wrapped him in gauze and convinced him if he took it off he would lose his eye for sure. Scared to death Doug kept that bandage on for some time afterwards. We all learned that day not to pout at camp and that "practically a doctor" turns out to be a practical joke.

Michael

 ...Humm I wonder if my daughter Erica has some of the same kind of memories.  Maybe that's why she moved all the way to Maryland?

3 comments:

  1. "Good one, Mike." Keep them coming and bet Sis has some stories to tell, also.
    I've been somewhat disappointed that some of the other campers have not commented. I think it should be a rule, no comments, no more Beaver Hollow Camping. Grandma Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A before E" isn't always the rule.

    It isn't the one that kids learn while in school.

    But when you spell Michael's name... "A before E"...

    Is good to remember. It's how it should be!

    "E before A" is for Larrieann.

    But it's not the right way, if you are a man.

    For man children you can just think of this trick.

    Off to the side, right the vowels down real quick.

    AEIOU will help get it right.

    Mike's vowels on the left, and Doug's vowels on the right.

    And I'm in the middle to show you the way.

    Respectfully, your editor, The Lovely Deshae.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Deshae. I enjoyed getting to know you better while Erica was here. You are one funny girl. Please stay in touch. Editor Girl

    ReplyDelete